Monday, February 23, 2009

Going to India For Montessori




In January, I was lucky enough to attend the A.M.I. International Montessori Congress in Chennai, India. I am an AMI primary trained teacher who runs a three to six year old class at a school in Oakland, California. For so many reasons, I felt thrilled and honored to be traveling to India for this experience. I have always been very curious about the country and it's ancient and spiritual culture. Dr. Montessori and her son, Mario Sr. spent close to ten years there and although their time in India has been of great interest to me, I somehow had never had the privilege or opportunity to learn more about it. My trip seemed more than just a trip, it seemed like a pilgrimage. I had always wanted to go to India and finally I had an opportunity to go with a real purpose.


Dr. Montessori's time in India was significant in many ways. She traveled to Chennai, known then as Madras, in 1939 after being invited by George Arundale, then president of the Theosophical Society. The first Montessori Teacher Training Course was held at the Theosophical Society in the same year. Dr. Montessori lectured in Italian in the Olcott Bungalow (see photo) and was famously translated by
her son, Mario. What I was most surprised to learn was that in 1940, with Britain entering the Second World War, the Montessoris as Italian citizens, became enemy aliens. They were not allowed to leave India and Mario was interned for a short time in a concentration camp. They were estranged from their family including Mario's wife and children and were only to return to Europe in 1946. After a short while they were drawn back to India until 1949.

Much of Montessori's great work was completed in India. It was here that she and Mario developed the Cosmic Education Curriculum and ran the first ever 6-12 years Training Course.  Dr.Montessori also published many important books in India including "To Educate the Human Potential" and the "Absorbent Mind", both in 1948. Mario Sr. says in his article " The Impact of India" that "...there is a period that looms above the others for it's dramatic nature and for the completion she attained in her vast vision. India could be compared to a united Europe for the diversity of the people, language and mentality that compose this vast country..."

Being at the congress in India, I could truly relate to Dr. Montessori's inspiration. Listening to Montessorians and non-Montessorians speak to us about her work and vision, surrounded by  
so many people from all over the world in this beautiful, spiritual, ancient culture, was a wonderful reminder of all of her vision's simplicity and universality. She wants us not to look to her as a leader, but to the child. This was a remarkable opportunity to get in touch with the pure essence of what she saw in every child and how best to be, so as to support and cultivate this potential. In Chennai at the 1939 course inauguration, Dr Montessori quotes a poet by saying: " The child is the eternal Messiah, who is sent continually among fallen men, in order to uplift ourselves, their nation, the world and the heavens."

I was reminded in India of BAMA, as it's vision is similar to the spirit of the congress: to put aside our differences so we can move forward with this important work of ours. And so I share this experience with anybody who is interested in Montessori's vision, so we can all continue to be of service to the child and in doing so hope for a more peaceful world in the future.

-Sidney Leck

No comments: